Friday 11 May 2012

A one-night project

Due to the tiny size of our flat it can often be difficult for me to get the sewing machine out as it takes over the living space and can be quite distracting if my husband is trying to work.  So on Wednesday night, feeling too restless to just vegetate in front of the TV, I decided to do a wee bit of jewellery making.

At the age of 15 I decided that jewellery making was what I wanted to do so I left school and went to college (or maybe I decided I was desperate to leave school and found a jewellery course as a suitable alternative!). Either way I've always enjoyed making my own jewellery but haven't done any in ages. This DIY Anthropologie inspired flag bunting necklace by Mrs Priss was a perfect project to start back with.  It didn't require the sewing machine and I made it in one night!

The colours I chose out of all the leather scraps I've got.

I've got this bundle of leather scraps that I inherited from my mum and have never done anything with them.  I imagine she got them in the mid-late 70s when she was making lots of beautiful patchwork leather bags (I'll photograph some of these another day and put them up).  I've got a plan for a camera bag in the piece of lovely red and white cross-hatch design but that would have required the sewing machine.  All this necklace required was jewellery pliers, leather, a needle to make holes with, scissors, jump rings, gold chain and a necklace fastening.  I bought the jump rings, chain and fastening in packs in John Lewis so I have plenty to make some more necklaces now - yay!


You can see the result above.  I decided to leave the ribbon off it - I couldn't get it to sit right and now I've made it I think I prefer it without.  Some of the pieces of leather were thinner than others and you can see them curling a bit in the photo.  On getting home from work tonight I've added medium interfacing to the back of them with fabric glue and it looks much sturdier now (see below). I'm so happy with it and I know I'll get lots of wear out it. Thank you Mrs Priss!

2 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I love that it's all colorful leather! It makes it a perfect spring/summer accessory.
    I have quite a few other inspiration for leather accessories on my pinterest board: http://pinterest.com/petitejosette/how-about-some-home-diy/
    Look for the purple braided leather bracelet, it looks like you would have the perfect scraps for it!
    Thanks for your comment on my blog too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh there's lots of lovely ideas on your pinterest, thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete