Thursday 1 September 2011

Alterations

I bought this dress during a visit to Portobello Road market a month or so ago.  I looked at, thought yeah that'll fit fine and handed over the £12 asked.  I just loved the colours and the stripes of course and I'd been looking for something in more primary colours so this fitted the bill perfectly - or so I thought! I got home tried it on and I couldn't get the zip anywhere near the top.  A kind friend suggested this was maybe a child's dress, maybe, but whoever it was intended for I was determined it was now going to fit me!

After seeking advice from Toile & Trouble I decided to make the dress into a skirt.  I chose not to take the zip out and redo it - yes, I'm a coward, what of it! Instead I made the bodice part of the dress the waistband so all I had to do was undo the stitching round the straps and waist-tie, then restitch it all.  whilst doing this I took the opportunity to angle the waistband in a bit at the top on both sides.  Then with the zip I just folded it over and stitched it flat.  It hardly took any time at all once I got started - amazing! It looks lovely from the front though the waist at the back is a bit bumfily (I have no idea how to spell that, probably becuase as Oliver pointed out, it isn't a real word, but you know what I mean right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment